"You are the Gift" (Shyira District Hospital - Day 2)

Today was definitely a little slower. I really like this hospital. It is just so clean! We attended a nutrition class this morning that was given to all of the mothers who had just given birth. they talked bout child nutrition for the first 1,000 days of life (conception to age 2). It was cool and it made me really happy that they were educating mothers on proper nutrition right away. I haven’t seen any major cases of malnutrition while I have been here until today. I was visiting the malnutrition room and there was this little boy who looked so sick. He was crumpled in a heap on the bed and his eyes looked like they were bulging out of his head. His teeth look way to big for his tiny mouth. He was covered with a blanket so I couldn’t see his body but I didn’t need to to know we was frighteningly small. Later in the day I saw him strapped to his moms back like all of the babies are worn here. I thought that maybe he was three years old but a nurse came up to me and told me he was EIGHT years old! I couldn’t even believe it. it was the saddest thing in the world. 
We had another meeting with the cleaning staff but this one seemed a little pointless compared to the one we had at Biryogo. The staff is very on top of it and has plenty of adequate supplies. They follow to ministry of health standards to a T. I felt bad keeping them from their work! If anything that meeting made me even more aware that they are doing an amazing job! 
After lunch we met with the clinical director about our IPC observations and suggested solutions. We really didn’t have many because they really are doing such a great job. Suzanna and I were in charge of the pediatric unit. We only had three critiques we found; glove procedures (which turned out to be misinformation that was given to us probably due to poor translation), a broken sink, and overflow procedures. This meeting was much quicker than the one at Biryogo and very productive. The clinical director was very humble and took our advice very seriously. He was very understanding and grateful for our feedback. We were done at about 3:30 again and had the rest of the day to ourselves. I just worked on a couple of papers that are due at the end of the week. I may have wandered around the maternity ward for a bit too. Jenna and I ran into a group of new mothers who we *tried* to talk to for a bit. They couldn't understand us too well and vis versa but we still had fun! Jenna gave them some of the sock dolls her family made and they were so grateful.


I had quite a bit of time to myself today and I have had a lot of time to really reflect on how I have been feeling about everything. I am so grateful for the experiences I have had here so far and I love the Rwandan people with all of my heart. But I have really been struggling with how I am supposed to just go back to the US and continue my life as normal. I am SO incredibly fortunate I can’t even believe it. How is it that these people live in such impoverished conditions and I get to live the way I do? These babies that are born in the hospital are born into poverty and they can’t do anything about it. Before they are even born their future in kind of set. They will probably be hungry at least a few times in their life when I can’t tell you a time I didn’t have a meal waiting for me in my nice warm home in Park City. I just don’t see how that is fair. I feel so blessed to live somewhere where I can be anything I want to be with no questions asked. Going to college was expected! These kids might not even be able to afford to go to high school. They have all of this potential and might not even get the opportunity to apply it. But simply because of where I was born I can use mine?! I was praying last night and asking Heavenly Father why this was and I suddenly felt this huge responsibility to utilize my numerous opportunities to give back and serve. Jenna put it perfectly today “With much given even more is expected”. I have a new perspective on my many blessings and the opportunities that stand before me. In preparation for this trip we were asked to read a speech by Sister Sharon Eubank themed "You are the Gift". In the speech she talks about taking advantage of opportunities put in front of you specifically to serve the Lord and serve your fellow men. She said "the Lord will put opportunities in your path and all you have to do is take advantage of them." I have felt a large sense of urgency on this trip in utilizing what I have been given to serve and love those I am interacting with- not only on this trip but for the rest of my life! The scripture Mosiah 2:17 has brought be motivation and comfort as I have been pondering these things on the trip - "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." Sister Eubank also talked about looking at humanitarian work is a different way, "Instead of just giving out tangible goods in foreign locations, what if we had the richness of dispensing healing, friendship, respect, peaceful dialogue, sincere interest, protective listening of children, birthday remembrances, and conversations with strangers? What if that was what your humanitarian organization did? This kind of humanitarian work can be done by anybody and it can be done at any time." I love that her definition of humanitarian work crosses over to here in Africa and at home. Although I am still struggling with the disparities between the lifestyles I've experienced  I have found an even deeper description to what it means to be a disciple of Christ. I recognize the immense responsibility I have to serve God’s children. I never want to forget this. I always want to serve to my fullest. With that said I always want to remember how happy these people are. And their happiness comes from their families. I am so amazed by Gods amazing plan of happiness. Families are the center of everything. That is all you need to be happy. You don’t need nice clothes or a huge house. None of that matters. I have never seen happier people in my life. I love them so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Arrival in Kigali

University of Rwanda Day 3 and Departure for the SAFARI!

A Day in the Life of a Global Health Intern (Part 2) - Biryogo Health Center Day 3